Custer Mansion Bed & Breakfast
 
 
(605) 673-3333  |  Custer Mansion Bed & Breakfast  | cusmanbb@gwtc.net
Toll Free: (877) 519-4948  |  fax: (605) 673-6696
 
   
Over 100 years ago, the west edge of the booming town of Custer, became the location for a prestigious Victorian Gothic style house, built and designed by native New Yorker, Newton Seymore Tubbs. Mr. Tubbs found his way to the Dakota Territory in 1877, just two years after the city of Custer had been founded by General George Custer and his Calvary.
He homesteaded 179 acres becoming the area’s first rancher/ farmer, well known as “the big sheep man” with 1,000 sheep scattered across the canyons as far south as Edgemont. The harvest of an excellent potato crop in 1890, enable Tubbs to trade potatoes for lumber from local saw mills. He then began construction of a large two-story home for he and his family, grand in style with seven gables!
For years “the house that potatoes built” was the center of Custer’s social life. Later, it served as the county old people’s home, a preschool, a local church, mini-mall, a tourist attraction know as “Monster Mansion”, a rental home and eventually in 1988, the house was turned into the first bed and breakfast in the southern Black Hills.
This photo was taken in 2000 what the area looks like now. Previous picture was then. Restored and listed on the National Register of Historic Homes, it is again a favorite gathering place for guests and friends.
   

Custer Mansion Bed & Breakfast | 35 Centennial Drive | Custer, SD 57730